March 5, 2013
Fast Facts: CHI AL SHAQAB 2013
- CHI AL SHAQAB 2013 was held from 27 until 30 March 2013 in Doha, Qatar. This was the first time that this event is held in the Middle East and Asia.
- The program included three equestrian disciplines spread over four days: Show Jumping CSI 5* and CSI 3*, Dressage CDI 4* and Endurance CEI2*.
- The event was open to the public and included a range of family-friendly activities, in addition to the equestrian competitions that was the highlight for equine lovers and enthusiasts.
- A Spectator Plaza extending across 9,000 square meters offered visitors access to an equine and fashion exhibition and trade market, a public food-court, a kids’ zone, pony rides, horse shows, a vaulting demonstration, and games for all ages.
- Members of the Qatari Royal Family and other royal families in the GCC, as well as other national and international VIPs of the equine sport and business world, were in attendance.
- Top ranked riders from Qatar, the GCC and around the world competed during the event, with an initial estimate of 200 horses in competition.
- Some of the most prominent show jumping riders in the world: Christian Ahlmann; ranked first in the world, Steve Guerdat; the London 2012 champion in individual jumping, Gerco Schröder; winner of the silver medal in the individual jumping competition at the London 2012.
- Show Dressage highlight: Isabell Werth, winner of five Olympic gold medals.
- CHI (Concours Hippique International - International Equestrian Competition) is the official title given by the FEI (International Equestrian Federation) only to international equestrian competitions with three or more equine disciplines in one week.
- The CHI AL SHAQAB festival will be hosted annually, around the same time of the year.